Saturday, September 12, 2015

What God Opens, No One Can Shut

Life is full of opportunities that shape us and mold us into the people God intended. In front of every opportunity is a door- a choice. As we journey down this path there are many times when you come to a doorway that at the time when you are a little further back, the door is wide open, but as you get closer, you realize the doorway is now closed shut. Then there are times when it is just the opposite. You see a closed door, yet upon arrival, you see that it has swung wide and you can walk right through. Life is a constant coin toss of an open door or a closed door, and we need to be at a place where whatever side ends flipped up, we must be content with the results. Know you may be wondering what a situation like this looks like. I will give an example of something that just recently happened in my life. As some of you may know, this past year, I was a part of a ministry school for young adults. I was certain that God wanted me to continue with the school another year. I began fundraising for the year, but by the end of summer, the money just wasn’t in like I had hoped. I realized that what I once thought was a sure thing turned out to be a door that was open for a time, but was now being slammed shut. In all honesty, I was confused and a little frustrated. Why would God put this on my heart to continue, then not let me? Over the course of the next few weeks, I came to realize that where I needed to be was not where I thought it was. I needed to walk a different path then one I had become comfortable with over the previous year. I had fallen into routine and complacency and it wasn’t where God intended for me to be. I am not saying that I am now fully in that place, especially considering that on this earth, we will never be fully complete in the Father and in that perfect place until we get to heaven. I am however saying that through these last couple of weeks, God had need of me right where I am.
 When I think of doors opening and closing in a person’s life, I am drawn to the story of Joseph from the Old Testament. Joseph was the favorite son of his father Israel, so naturally the envy of his 11 brothers. Joseph had been given dreams from God, and as any excited person would have done, he shared his dreams with his brothers. In his dreams, he saw his parents and his brothers, including the sun, moon and stars bow down before him. While reading this, I have never gotten the impression that this was a pride thing, but merely a pure excitement for what was to come. His brothers, however, did not share in his joy. They threw him into a pit and sold him to their distant cousins, the Ishmaelites. Wham! Closed door. But Joseph’s story doesn’t end when the door closes. Joseph is sold to an Egyptian by the name of Potiphar and in a short period of time, He becomes second in command over Potiphar’s whole household. Then, God slams the door once again. Potiphar’s wife gets jealous of Joseph, so she tells her husband that he attacked her and Joseph is then thrown into prison. Even though Joseph’s life has not been entirely peachy, never once does it say that Joseph complained or threw himself a pity party. Through every closed door, he still chooses to praise God. After close to 2 years in prison, Joseph is called before Pharaoh and in turn, becomes the 2nd in command over all of Egypt as he shows the people what they must do to survive the famine. When the famine hits, Joseph’s brothers travel to Egypt for food, and find out that the little 13 year old kid they threw into a pit was now second only to Pharaoh and his life had come full circle. Joseph had spent his entire life with doors opening and closing in his face, but in the end, God had a better door intended for him all along. Joseph could have stayed pouting behind his closed door, but instead, he walked into a new hallway with new opportunities that led to him saving his entire family, as well as a whole nation, from starvation. I do not know where the next door in my life will open, or when that door will close, but when it does, I what to have the mindset of Joseph through it all. To tough it out and change course if the need arises. It is better to walk a new hallway towards a new door, then to stay in the old hallway waiting for the door to open. God will open every door that he wants us to walk through, and he will close every door that he doesn’t. Stay ready in the hallway.

Adam Semple- a young man on a mission from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment