Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh- I Am that I Am

We know by know that God has been called by many things in scripture. Jehovah, Adonai, Shalom and Elohim, to name a few. Here we see one that is not used all that much- Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh- I Am that I Am. If you are familiar with any old testament history, this is what God sees to Moses in the burning bush back in Exodus chapter 3. Let me lay out some backstory.

Moses was a Israelite who, through divine intervention, found himself as an Egyptian in Pharaoh's palace. After a mishap with a bully Egyptian and a fellow Israelite, Moses flees to the desert, where he meets his wife and has 2 boys. Fast-forward 40 years. Moses is out feeding his flock when a strange occurrence catches his eye. There is a bush in the distance completely engulfed with flames, yet not burning. So, naturally, Moses goes to inspect the strange sight. As Moses approaches, a voice from the bush calls out to him and tells him to take off his sandals, for the ground where he is standing is holy ground. The voice, obviously, is God, who tells Moses that through him, God will free his people, the Israelites, from the oppression of Pharaoh. When Moses asks God how he will get the people to believe God sent him, God says this one phrase, "I Am that I Am." "I Am has sent me to you" This phrase, translated from the Greek in later translations or scripture, is defined as such- "I am the being; the existing one." Essentially, what God is saying is that the people shouldn't fear or doubt following Moses, because the one who is above all things, has instructed this man to go, and whoever goes with that authority is someone who can be trusted to follow God's instructions.

So why does God calls himself, I AM? Because God is who he says he is, wouldn't that have been enough for the people? Perhaps, maybe for a select few, just knowing God is who he says he is is enough to trust him. For others, the hardheaded ones, like myself sometimes, we need to know that God is not just a big deity in the sky, but also a helper in times of need. God saying "I Am" can really be filled in to fit whatever you need him to be in whatever season you are in. For the Israelites, they needed a rescuer- I am the Way Out. For you and I, maybe we need a healer or a guide so we don't have to walk this journey alone. - I am the Healer, I am the Guide.  God's "I Am" is God's way of saying whoever you need me to be in order to grasp how much I love you, that is who I will be for  you.
Whoever the "I Am" is to you, just trust that God will come through, no matter the time frame, or circumstance. For the Israelites, it was 400 years in Egypt, but thankfully, it won't be quite that long for us before God carries out his plan.

"I Am that I Am" "I will prove to be whatsoever I shall choose to be"

Adam Semple- A Young Man on a Mission From God

No comments:

Post a Comment